A few years ago a friend said “Eww” when I mentioned that I don’t wash my hair everyday. Fast forward to today and many clients and friends ask me how to make second and third day hair work. Personally, I don’t wash my hair every day because it’s naturally dry. The more I wash it the drier it feels. And, I have a lot of hair- I don’t want to deal with washing and blow drying it every day. Plus, sometimes, my hair holds style better the next day when it’s not so soft and frizzy. Like with any style, product makes a difference. So, I put together a list of my favorite products for second day hair.
Products for Second Day Hair
(This post is not sponsored- I just really love Kenra. I genuinely like these products and use them on myself!)
1. A creaseless hair tie. I started using an Invisibobble a couple months ago when I noticed the beauty supply stopped selling knotted fabric ties. It’s great! I use this when I put my hair up at night and when I go to the gym to preserve my style. It doesn’t leave big dents or snag my hair.
2. Dry shampoo. After trying many kinds, Volume Dry Shampoo by Kenra has been my favorite. It has a nice light scent and doesn’t feel chalky in my hair. The spray is translucent which is a plus for dark hair! Not only does it absorb excess oil it adds lift to the hair, as well.
3. Curl refreshing spray. I tried Kenra Curl Refresher after taking their class about curly hair. This lightweight spray is awesome! I use it to revive natural waves- just spray it allover and re-scrunch. It’s a game changer!
4. A lightweight moisturizing serum. I always use Biosilk on freshly washed hair. But, if my ends are feeling dry the next day, I use a very small amount to help prevent split ends and give shine. A little goes a long way with this!
5. A heat protectant with hold. Kenra Hot Spray protects from heat and has a firm hold of 20. For me, this works well when I curl or flat iron my hair becuase it helps the style last until my next shampoo. I like to comb through my hair after spraying this to make sure it’s evenly distributed. If you’re worried about spraying something and then using a hot tool, this one allows a clean release!
6. A weightless hairspray. I’ve been repurchasing Soy Touchable Hairspray for years. Actually, I started using this in cosmetology school when I realized my gels, mousses and firm hairsprays weren’t the best products for second day hair. It holds hair without getting crunchy or stiff. I use this all over after a first day style because I know I’ll still be able to work with my hair the next day, and the next! Soy touchable is humidity resistant and provides protection from thermal tools and UV rays, too!
7. A flexible working and finishing spray. I usually grab for JoiMist Medium on the second day when I’m putting part of my hair back. Because it’s flexible, it keep the flyaways in check but the hold isn’t so hard that I can’t work my hair again the next day if I need to.
Second Day Hairstyles
It works best for me to wash my hair at night, let it dry while I’m sleeping and style it in the morning. Then, I can leave that style for a day or 2. If I’m not working I may let it air dry or use a light curl product so I can still style it with a hot tool the next day. On the second day I like to put it up in a half knot, like shown above, or pin the sides back. I do touch up with a curling iron or flat iron as needed. On the third day, headbands and voluminous ponytails are my go-to styles. Although, I can get away with another half-up style with enough dry shampoo. 🙂
I like these products for second day hair because they give it a little life. For me, it’s more about the type of product than the brand. While I think these products are great- anything similar could work. My advice would be to apply product to your midstrands and ends, avoiding the new growth area so it doesn’t look oily. I hear people say that you have to train your hair (and scalp)- that it has to get used to less frequent washes. This is probably true for most people but everyone’s hair is different. Try it, test some products and see what works for you!
I hope you like these products if you try them! Thank you for reading!
What do you think about second day hair?
How do you style your hair the next day?